Over the past few years there has been an additional sum of money given to primary schools to develop sport. The amount increased in 2017-18 as a result of additional funding from the sugar tax. For St Michael's the amount was £17155. For 2018-19 we will receive £21,641.
What the funding is for:
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, the funding can be used to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- run sports activities with other schools
For further information please visit the following website: PE and Sport Premium
Sport at St Michael's School
We are very proud of the sporting opportunities that we are able to provide at St Michael's. We aim for ALL children to have access to:
- High quality sports teaching. Our own staff are well-trained and enthusiastic, and they are supported by Bristol Sport, who provide 1 and a half days per week of specialist coaching support (this year in netball and gymnnastics).
- A wide variety of sports, including football, tag rugby, netball, cricket, athletics, hockey and swimming (mainly Y4)
- A fitness-focussed PE curriculum. We want all children to be fit and active.
- High quality facilities, including 2 7-a-side grass football pitches; a netball and basketball court; a football zone; and lots of play equipment
- A wide variety of sporting clubs, run by both teachers and external coaches
- Competitive sport. We organise house competitions in-school, and take part in a wide variety of tournaments and competitions throughout the year.
To find out more about Sport at St Michael's, please visit the sports pages of the website.
How we use the Sport Premium
We use the sport premium to continually improve sporting provision at St Michael's so the the children here can experience the best possible PE curriculum and enjoy a huge range of additional opportunities.
Our priorities for the coming year are:
- Continued emphasis on fitness through encouraging daily exercise
- Improve teaching of gymnastics and netball (Bristol Sport focus) so that children develop their skills even further
- Install a new fitness trail in the school grounds to provide more opportunities for vigorous exercise
- Promote high levels of participation in additional activities: ideally we would like every child to participate in something extra every week.
Details of how our current plan can be found by clicking on this link: