Over the past few years there has been an additional sum of money given to primary schools to develop sport. The amount increased in 2017-18 as a result of additional funding from the sugar tax. . For 2018-19 we received £21,641. The review of this spending and the plans for 2019-20 can be found below.
What the funding is for:
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, the funding can be used to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- run sports activities with other schools
For further information please visit the following website: PE and Sport Premium
Sport at St Michael's School
We are very proud of the sporting opportunities that we are able to provide at St Michael's. We aim for ALL children to have access to:
- High quality sports teaching. Our own staff are well-trained and enthusiastic, and they are currently being supported by Signature Sport, who provide 1 day per week of specialist coaching support (this year focusing on a variety of games that children wouldn't normally experience, eg boccia & badminton).
- A wide variety of sports, including football, tag rugby, netball, cricket, athletics, hockey and swimming (mainly Y4)
- A fitness-focussed PE curriculum. We want all children to be fit and active.
- High quality facilities, including 2 7-a-side grass football pitches; a netball and basketball court; a football zone; and lots of play equipment. Our all-weather KS2 area means children can use this all year round.
- A wide variety of sporting clubs, run by both teachers and external coaches
- Competitive sport. We organise house competitions in-school, and take part in a wide variety of tournaments and competitions throughout the year.
To find out more about Sport at St Michael's, please visit the sports pages of the website.
How we use the Sport Premium
We use the sport premium to continually improve sporting provision at St Michael's so the the children here can experience the best possible PE curriculum and enjoy a huge range of additional opportunities.
Our priorities for the coming year are:
- Continued emphasis on fitness through encouraging daily exercise
- Introduce children to a wider range of sports (including boccia and badminton)
- Improve the KS1 activity area so that it can be used throughout the year
- Promote high levels of participation in additional activities: ideally we would like every child to participate in something extra every week.
- Explore the potential to install a MUGA on the school field
Details of how our current plan can be found by clicking on this link: