Sport Premium is an additional funding stream for all schools, partly funded through the 'sugar tax'. The amount each school received is based on a lump sum and then a smaller amount of per-pupil funding. For 2020-21, St Michael's received the allocation of £21,681 + £4481 rolled forward from 2019-20 = £26,162.
Please see below for our review for 2020-21, and our outline plans for 2021-22.
What the funding is for:
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
There are 5 key indicators:
Key indicator 1: The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that primary school pupils undertake at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day in school.
Key indicator 2: The profile of PESSPA being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement (PESSPA = Physical Education, School Sport and Physical Activity).
Key indicator 3: Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
Key indicator 4: Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
Key indicator 5: Increased participation in competitive sport.
To develop these key areas schools are able to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- run sports activities with other schools
For further information please visit the following website: PE and Sport Premium
Sport at St Michael's School
We are very proud of the sporting opportunities that we are able to provide at St Michael's. We aim for ALL children to have access to:
- High quality sports teaching. Our own staff are well-trained and enthusiastic, and they are currently being supported by Signature Sports.
- A wide variety of sports, including football, tag rugby, netball, cricket, athletics, hockey and swimming.
- A fitness-focused PE curriculum - we want all children to be fit and active.
- High quality facilities: including 2 x 7-a-side grass football pitches; a netball, hockey and basketball court; a football zone; and lots of play equipment. Our all-weather, multi-use games area allows children to access outdoor sport all year round.
- A wide variety of sporting clubs, run by both teachers and external coaches.
- Competitive sport: we organise house competitions in-school, and take part in a wide variety of tournaments and competitions throughout the year.
How we use the Sport Premium
We use the sport premium to continually improve sporting provision at St Michael's so the children can experience the best possible PE curriculum and enjoy a huge range of additional opportunities.
Our priorities for the coming year are:
- Continued emphasis on fitness through encouraging daily exercise
- Introduce children to a wider range of sports (including golf and others) through free after school clubs
- Promote high levels of participation in additional activities: every child will participate in a daily ten minute skills/high intensity fitness activity
- Targeted additional coaching and activities for particular pupils or groups of pupils - (Mr. Dawson)
Details of how our current plan can be found by clicking on this link
Sports Premium Evidencing Report 2023-24