We believe that learning a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It helps them to develop communication skills including key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing and extends their knowledge of how language works. Learning another language gives children a new perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own cultures and those of others and fostering respect for those who speak languages other than English.
French is taught throughout the school and is a compulsory part of the curriculum for KS2. In Key Stage 1 the focus is on learning everyday French words and phrases, learning songs, counting in French and generally having fun with language. In Key Stage 2 children have a weekly French lesson which develops their language learning skills across years 3, 4, 5 and 6.
KS2 French Topic Overview
The children in year 3, 4, 5 and 6 follow a topic based plan for learning French. Each year they will consolidate and revise previous language learning, whilst broadening skills in order to progress in their knowledge and understanding of the French language. The lessons are fun and interactive; with the principal objective being to develop language skills and confidence.
KS2 Languages Programme of Study
The French curriculum focuses mainly on practical communication and children are expected to: –
- Listen attentively to spoken language, join in and respond
- Explore the patterns and sounds of the language, for example through songs and rhymes
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions, and seek clarification and help
- Speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary, phrases and language structures
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
- Present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- Read carefully, showing understanding of simple writing
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- Develop their vocabulary, including through using a dictionary
- Write phrases from memory and adapt them to create new sentences
- Describe people, places, things and actions verbally and in writing
- Understand basic grammar
See below for key curriculum documents.
Examples of work in KS2
Children in Year 3 have been learning about body parts using the book 'Va t'en monstre vert!'. They made their own monster and describe it in French using colours and adjectives.
Year 4 children learnt the vocabulary related to toys and shopping. At the end of the term, they had a jumble sale, swapping toys in French using pretend euros.
Year 6 children learnt the vocabulary related to our school. They created a video tour of the school. We are hoping to share it with a French school and hopefully get pictures of their school!
We promote French language using games, real life role plays and fun outcomes. If you want to have look at what we learn, click on the document below.